I am not superstitious nor do I fear Friday the 13th, but there is a date in the Hebrew calendar that is a day of disaster. It is the 9th of Av which is July 30 of this year, July 20 of 2010, and August 9 of 2011. Note some of the things that took place on this date:
- The 10 spies came back with a bad report about their Promised Land on the 9th of Av.
- Nebuchadnezzar destroyed Solomon’s Temple on the 9th of Av.
- 656 years later to the day, when Rome destroyed Herod’s Temple, it was on the 9th of Av.
- In 135 A.D. the Jews rebelled against Roman rule on the 9th of Av under the false Messiah Simon bar Kockba
- All of the Jews were kicked out of England in 1290 on the 9th of Av.
- All of the Jews were kicked out of Spain in 1492 on the 9th of Av.
- World War I started on the 9th of Av.
- Hitler’s proclimation to kill the Jews was on the 9th of Av.
For the Jews, the 9th of Av is the low point and the conclusion of a three weeks of sorrow for the Temple. Could there be anything else in the future that could tragically happen on this day?
Filed under: Hidden in Time |